A Family Tradition Since 1941
A cornerstone of Vermont dining, Bove's Café officially opened at 68 Pearl Street in Burlington on December 7, 1941. Louis and Victoria Bove opened the Café doors to the public after years hosting friends and neighbors from all over town who urged them to share their gift of making good food with the public. Rave reviews followed, and lines grew down the street – their premium-quality, affordable Italian cuisine quickly established Bove's as the place to eat in Vermont's Queen City.
Louis and Victoria’s son, Dick and his wife Josephine took over the café and became the second generation to carry on the Bove’s Cafe tradition. Dick worked logged long hours simmering the sauce, like his parents taught him, while Josephine worked at a local college and baked desserts for the restaurant.
Today, Dick and Josephine’s sons, Rick and Mark are part of the business and are the third generation to carry on the Bove tradition. Dick oversees the sauce making each day, while Rick runs the dining room and Mark oversees the kitchen each evening.
The restaurant's prestigious customer list includes the late President John F. Kennedy, U.S. Senator Patrick Leahy, Congressman Bernie Sanders, Governor Jim Douglas, John LeClair (Philadelphia Flyers), Mark Messier (The New York Rangers), various television and silver screen celebrities, and of course the long list of college alumni from the University of Vermont, St. Michael's College, Champlain College, Norwich University, and the late Trinity College.